Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Crock Pot Pork Roast and Vegetables



Pot Roast is one of those meals that just warms you up.  On a cold night, this is one of my favorites to make!  It is easy, made in the crock pot, and makes your entire house smell delicious! 

I absolutely adore my crock pot!  Having two tiny babies, all I have to do is throw some things in there and get on with my day.  When dinner time comes, the food is already ready! I don't have to worry about making a mess, setting timers, or getting dinner cooked before bed time.

This week has been very busy for my home.  The other day we had several appointments to get to so I decided to throw a roast in my crock pot so dinner would be done when we got home. 

Usually when people make a pot roast they use beef.  While grocery shopping I told my husband that I wanted to make a pot roast.  He accidentally picked up a pork roast instead.  I am not going to lie...when I put this thing in the crock pot and realized it was not beef I got kind of upset.  I was expecting it to be salty and chewy like pork usually is.  I was not happy at all.  However, I let my husband and dad try it first and they really liked it!  When I tried my first bite, I was very shocked!  It was actually better than the beef!  Not only was it more tender, but it gave more flavor to the vegetables!  The broth stayed clear unlike brown when you use beef, and the potatoes didn't turn brown or mushy!  This will be used every time fro now on!

Sorry for getting upset honey! :-)  You made an awesome mistake :-)

This is my favorite recipe!  Whenever I have ate a roast at other people's homes, the meat just seems too dry.  I like my roast juicy and tender.  Chicken broth and a slow cooker is the secret :)

You need:
Crock Pot
Bag of baby carrots
1 - 2  onions
1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
4 - 6  medium brown potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
Pork roast (whatever size you would like, as long as it fits in your crock pot)
48 oz container Swanson's Chicken Broth

 
 
 
Slice up your onions and separate them.  Place most of them in the bottom of your Crock Pot (about 3/4 of them.) 
 
 Put your roast in on top of the bed of onions.  
 
Wash and cut the potatoes up into 1 inch cubes.  Layer the potatoes on top of the roast.  
 
Now layer the carrots, followed by the mushrooms.  If you choose to use the celery and green pepper, layer them on top now.  
 
Next, place the final slices of onions on top.  (My picture doesn't show the layers because my husband just dumped all of them in at one time haha)
 
Slowly pour the broth into the crock pot.  You'll want the liquid to cover the potato and carrot layer, but not the final onion layer (as the roast cooks - the roast and veggies will settle)  Any left over broth could be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days or placed in the freezer for 6 months - in case you have any left over. 
 
Cooking with the lid on - this thing takes a while - minimum of 6-8 hrs on high or 10-12 hrs on low.  Your choice.  You know it's done when the roast is fork tender - basically if you stick it on the side with a fork it'll start to come apart. 

YUM!

I serve mine in a bowl with juices and all!



1 comment:

  1. I've make pot roast and I've made pork bbq in the crock pot, but I've never thought to replace the beef in a roast with pork! I am not crazy about beef so this would be perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete